Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Collection

Well, I am so excited to announce that my first collection, Cocktails at Eight, with Northcott is finally done and is going to the mill on Monday!!!!!! It sure seems like it's been a long time since I started this project (not to mention that the actual collection has changed several times), but it's finally moving forward. AND I CAN'T WAIT! I will post images as soon as I can! In the meantime, you can watch the the fabrics coming soon pages on Northcott's website: www.Northcott.com.

We even have a google group for our Northcott Designers and I've been really learning a lot about Photoshop from more seasoned designers. Right now I'm exploring creating textures because textures are very popular. I'm sure you've all heard of Stonehenge -- most likely you have some in your stash -- well, Stonehenge is Northcott fabric of course! I'm so lucky to be part of a group of designers who are really caring people and go out of their way to help those of us who are still learning.

Here's what I've learned about textures so far:

1) It's way harder to make a repeat for a texture than it is for something more graphic.

2) There's a whole giant world about brushes and how to use them like stamps in the creation of fabrics, particularly in textures.

3) There's no end to the creativity and work involved in creating textures.

4) There are lots of resources on the Internet from examples of textures/brushes to tutorials.

So, if you have Photoshop, I challenge you to play with textures!

Here's a few of the ones that I created during my Photoshop play. They're not perfect but it's a start! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. If you're not a blog follower, I hope you will be!

Quilt On,

Tricia Lynn Maloney,
The Orphan Quilter