Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fabric to DYE For

Recently I finally found my crate of fabric dyes in the garage. Hurray! That really made me happy.

I haven't dyed any fabric for the last two or three years because of my book and such, but since I agreed to do a fabric dyeing demo at one of my favorite quilt shops, Quiltessentials, located in Pittsfield PA, I thought it would be a good idea to actually find my dyes AND do some practice dyeing so I don't look like a complete idiot! The demo is part of their Summer Lawn Lecture Series and will be Friday, 19 August. The fun starts at 5 PM, and I will be demo-ing at 6:30 PM. A fellow dyer, Anita, will demo dyeing wool.

SO I dyed. Under a tree. Twice so far. Fourteen yards and counting.

I mixed red and yellow to get orange and also yellow and blue to get green. All I have to do is dye red and blue to get purple and I will have the whole color wheel. Cool, huh?

Have you ever tried dyeing fabric? It's a lot like doing t-shirts (tie-dye anyone?). I use the submersion method along with professional-grade Procion dyes. Here's a photo of my two dye runs so far. Yummy, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. If you're not a blog follower, I hope you will be!

Quilt On,

Tricia Lynn Maloney,
The Orphan Quilter