Thursday, May 5, 2011

Guild Program Review

Whew -- am I exhausted today -- in a good way, of course! Last night I did a trunk show/lecture for the Quilter's Night Out Guild in Warren, PA. It was a bit of a drive, about 1.5 hours each way, but it was a super positive experience.

About 40 or so people came for the program (gasp -- me!). I even got to wear a cordless microphone so everyone could hear me. After a while I actually forgot about it and had a lot of fun telling the guild the stories of my orphan quilts, because of course each one has its very own story to share.

They were a great group -- very curious about my "orphan block" quilts and how I went from quilter to author/designer. They had a lot of great questions too! A few members showed me recent projects, including a central embroidered block surrounded by mini pieced blocks -- the mini pieced blocks were made from vintage fabrics salvaged from a 1930's ninepatch quilt top. One member even told me that she had boxes of orphan blocks stacked on top of each other, rescued from an attic, and she was now inspired to perhaps "cut them up" to make a new project..... Hopefully, they'll email some pictures so that I can post them on the blog.

If you go the Quilting Around Chautauqua event in September at Chautauqua Institute in New York state, look up this guild's display. I guarantee that you won't be disappointed -- it's always one of my favorites. Last year they moved to a different location from the colonnaded building to a cafeteria down towards the lake (near the gymnasium). Don't miss it and tell them The Orphan Quilter sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. If you're not a blog follower, I hope you will be!

Quilt On,

Tricia Lynn Maloney,
The Orphan Quilter