Monday, November 7, 2011

New Books at Quilt Market

Following is a selection of great new books debuting at Quilt Market. It was great to meet most of the designers or to attend their schoolhouse lectures. Leslie and I went to lots of lectures, demos, and signings to find out what's new and I think you'll like what we discovered:



Leslie and I went to the schoolhouse lecture for this book and were so impressed with Kay -- she was such a dynamo and her samples were incredible. We liked the bags so much that we decided to go to one of her booksignings. I really like the way this book is organized from simple projects to more complex. It really mades sense. Kay is very skilled at bag construction and even shares her tips and tricks in the book to achieve professional-looking bags!



Edyta Sitar was a wonderful speaker/demonstrater at her book demo! We really enjoyed hearing about the importance of quilts in her life from the doll quilts and Barbie quilts made for her children to larger projects. This book has gorgeous photography and is an excellent read. There is a CD in the back which includes nine quilt patterns, but the book is devoted to quilts and their stories, or reasons.



One of my goals at Quilt Market was to stop by the Quilter's World booth and meet the the editors in person. I was fortunate indeed to not only meet Carolyn Vagts, but also to get a copy of her new quilt book for beginners. This book concentrates on a single quilt block that can be arranged in different ways. It also takes a beginner from the beginning to end. Good photos. I really liked the idea of working with a single block that can be flipped and flopped into different designs. Very good for a beginner, the one block will keep the newbie from getting to overwhelmed!



I'm not much of an appliquer, but this demo was very cool. I loved the concept of using both the positive and the negative shapes created when you cut out an applique! I don't know if I'll try this technique, but for those of you who are into machine applique -- this book would be a nice addition to your bookshelf.



I really liked Gudrun Erla's other Fast and Furious books so when I saw that she was doing a schoolhouse on her new book, I grabbed Leslie and we went. The samples were great and somehow, I was the lucky winner of one of her book giveaways. If you like fast and fun, this book is for you. I particularly like the curved placemats -- these would look nice on my round table!



Pam and Nicky Lintott did it again! Another awesome book using those yummy precuts! Very clever designs and a feast for the eyes with all of those terrific precut packs.



Are you familiar with the Schnibbles patterns and the first book? Carrie Nelson does it again with her second book, which features even more designs for 5" and 10" squares.


I had the pleasure of meeting Cassie Barden and Adrienne Smitke at several book signings/demos. Of, course I was carrying my "Birdwatching Bag" which was a project in Cassie's first book, The New Handmade. Cassie and Adrienne were absolutely delightful and so energetic! Cassie even sports the most wonderful magenta hair color!! This book, Everyday Handmade, is the folow up book for Cassie's first book and well worth the wait. Filled with lots of great everyday projects.



Leslie and I attended the schoolhouse lecture for this book. Happily, Cassie and Adrienne were the featured designers. There are actually 25 projects from 23 differnet designers, including Cassie and Adrienne. Definitely a fun book with lovely gifts for everyone on your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. If you're not a blog follower, I hope you will be!

Quilt On,

Tricia Lynn Maloney,
The Orphan Quilter