Monday, February 6, 2012

A Surprise in the Mail

The other day I got home from work and there was a package on the table for me. At first I didn't know what it was and then -- I REMEMBERED! What an exciting moment! The fabric that I had ordered had finally arrived. This was just any fabric, though -- it was vintage fabric from Russia. I had ordered it through ebay back in January and it took nearly a month to arrive, but arrive it did! First, I had too look at all the cool stamps on the plastic mailer. Then I couldn't open it fast enough. Finally, once the box was open I could see the treasures inside -- my fabrics!

OH! How gorgeous they were -- identical to the photos the seller listed.



I'm really amazed at how different Russian fabric is from American fabric. For one thing, the width is narrower (alhtough vintage American fabric was narrower in width than fabric today too). Most importantly, there's just something about the dyes that just makes the fabric glow. You'll really notice it with the blue and red large floral print (which, by the way, I have special plans for). I'm just guessing from what I know about fabrics, styles, and time periods, that the greenish teal fabrics probably form the 1960's/1970's as it sthe black and pinkish purple flower. I get the feeling that the blue and red is somewhat newer maybe as new as ten years old or so. But, of course, these are just guesses.

So, you've seen another clue to my upcoming book -- I will be using some Russian vintage fabrics.......hmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. If you're not a blog follower, I hope you will be!

Quilt On,

Tricia Lynn Maloney,
The Orphan Quilter